Saturday

What sort of a muslim are you?




Uzumaki Naruto



It is a common knowledge that Islam and Muslims in general is divided into various ‘mazhabs’ or sects that are due to theological differences. There is nothing weird or abnormal about this; it is just a natural human phenomenon and it happens in most religion and not only Islam. The reason for this is human goes through different life experiences, exposures and cultural environments from one another. Therefore differences in ideas such as religious ideas are bound to happen.


There are good and bad sides to these differences but it all depends on how these differences are being handled by the religious authorities.


As in the case of Islam, had these differences been looked upon in a positive manner (ie acceptance); it could have been beneficial to the Muslim world. It would help facilitate Muslims in general with a basic cultural/societal value towards welcoming diversity and respecting the many spiritual paths to ‘God’.


This would instill the idea that spirituality or ‘truth’ cannot and should not be monopolized or owned by religious authority/institution of a certain sect. This would lay down basic philosophical foundations in the belief system that would make it more dynamic and conducive towards pluralism. Hence, would open the door to honoring the many ‘non-Islamic’ paths.


However, the sad reality is, this never happened. Rather than promote acceptance and welcoming differences; the religious authority selfishly do the opposite. They advocate sectarianism. They creatively come up with religious edict game of branding others who hold different views of the religion as ‘deviants’, ‘heretics’, ‘infidels’ and so on. As sad as it is, this segregation has reared its ugly head and becoming the reason for sectarian conflict in some parts of the Muslim world.


It is important to note that the complex role of Islam plays in one's life and faith is often difficult to put in words, let alone to be put in general categories of mazhab/sect. Though some may and some may not agree with this labeling and stereotyping, why not have fun while we are at it.


Take the test below and find out – what sort of Muslim are you.


Answer all 20 questions. On each question choose only one answer that best fits your understanding. Point scored for each question will depends on the answer you choose. Point value for each answer is in bracket at the end of it. For example: if you choose answer B for Question 1, your score will be 4 pts.


Answer all questions and add up your score points.





Start Test.

Q1. Do you perform ‘solah’ prayer? What’s your view on ‘solah’ prayer?

A. I don’t. God never command such thing in the Quran. (2)

B. I pray 5 times a day and keep regular prayer times without miss. (4)

C. I don’t pray the conventional way, I do it my way. (2)

D. I try to keep regular prayer times but I miss some occasionally. (3)

E. I don’t pray. To me ‘solah’ is just a form of meditation. (1)





Q2. How do you observe the fasting month of Ramadhan?

A. I don’t fast but I would attend Ramadan functions (buka) when invited. (1)

B. I don’t fast; I don’t see why we need to. God never command such thing. (2)

C. I fast but I do not attend mosque functions regularly. (3)

D. I fast, recite the Quran, keep the daily prayers and do extra prayer at night. (4)





Q3. What is your perception of ‘Ulama’ in general?

A. I don’t always agree with their views. Some are good some and narrow. (3)

B. I only look up and hold high regards to certain ulama(s). (4)

C. They are not ‘Ulama’, they are actually ‘habr’ - ‘ular dalam semak’. (2)

D. They are partly responsible and the cause for most problems facing the Muslim ummah. (1)





Q4. What is Quran to you?

A. It is revelation from God. One will be rewarded if one read the Quran in Arabic. (4)

B. It is from God but unfortunately many of the meanings of the words have been corrupted. (2)

C. It should be treated as it is - historical document. (1)

D. It is from God but I prefer reading it in the language that I understand. (3)





Q5. What is ‘Islam’ to you?

A. It is the only true religion prescribed by God and only those who profess in it will be saved in the hereafter. (4)

B. It is the same with all other religions – they are mortal construct. (1)

C. I was born and raised as a Muslim, and I am comfortable with it. (3)

D. I have different understanding about what ‘Islam’ is. It is not a religion but a way of life and that’s how I try to lead my life. (2)





Q6. If you were to marry or thinking of re-marrying would you marry a ‘non-Muslim’? (Assuming you reside in a total secular country).

A. I would marry a non-Muslim if he/she is willing to convert. (3)

B. I have no problem at all. (1)

C. It doesn’t matter to me, as long as the person believes in God. (2)

D. No, I would only marry a Muslim. (4)





Q7. How do you feel about eating ‘non-halal’ food?

A. I only eat halal food and I will check out ingredient list on the labels. (4)

B. I only eat halal food but I am not that particular about the ingredient list. (3)

C. I eat anything that tastes good except for meat of pig and alcoholic beverages. (2)

D. As far as I’m concern, all food is halal. (1)





Q8. What would your reaction be if your close Muslim friend told you he is gay?

A. Continue to be friends with him even though you find it a bit uncomfortable with his choice of lifestyle. (3)

B. Continue to be friends with him. You feel that it’s not for you to judge. (2)

C. Continue to be friends with him as long as he doesn’t try anything funny with you. (1)

D. Ostracize him because he is living a life of sin. (5)





Q9. What do you think of Muslims who own pub selling alcohol for a living?

A. What matters is the owner’s intention. (2)

B. It is pure business. There is absolutely nothing wrong doing that. (1)

C. Muslims should advise them not to sell alcohol. (3)

D. They are committing a sin and should not be supported by other Muslims. (4)





Q10. Would you still marry someone you love if you know he/she had engaged in premarital sex before (but not with you)?

A. No way Jose, sex should only take place in marriage. (4)

B. Premarital sex is not an issue to me. (1)

C. I would think twice but it depends on how he/she is now. (3)

D. My issue here is how it would affect my ego, nothing to do with my belief. (2)





Q11. What would you do if you were invited to a gathering where alcohol was being served?

A. Attend but not drink. I would explain why I'm not drinking, if asked. (3)

B. Not attend. It is ‘haram’ to be in such a setting. (4)

C. Attend and have a drink with no guilty conscience. (1)

D. Attend and may drink a little because you are not used to drinking alcohol. (2)





Q12. Would you insist your wife and daughter wear head cover?

A. No, but I would not stop them if they wanted to. (2)

B. I would recommend them to wear head cover, but I leave the decision to them. (3)

C. Yes, it is obligatory and it’s a must because it is God’s command. It’s a sin for them to expose their hair in public. (4)

D. No. It is an outdated Arab tradition that has been Islamicised . (1)





Q13. What is your view on Muslim leaving Islam - apostasy?

A. Death to apostates. That is God’s law. No question about it. (6)

B. There’s no compulsion in religion. Islam truly supports freedom of conscience. (2)

C. I would agree to some sort of short counseling session – few hours max. (3)

D. I would agree with Aqidah Rehabilitation Camp. (4)





Q14. Would you enroll your son/daughter to a religious school’?

A. Yes, I would make sure my kids receive good religious education. (4)

B. Yes, I would send them to a religious school if it were convenient for us. (3)

C. No, never. My children’s mind would be constrained if they were to be exposed to religious doctrines at early age. (1)

D. No, I wouldn't. I would only send them to learn to recite the Quran in Arabic. (2)





Q15. To whom do you turn for guidance on your spiritual related issues?

A. I look to a particular ustaz,ulama or maulana. (4)

B. I don’t really look to anyone, but I sometimes ask a particular spiritual leader. (3)

C. I rely mainly on the Qur'an. If I have questions, I usually share views with friends. There are times I would reflect seek guidance directly to God. (2)

D. I read from all sort of books and trust the strength within myself. (1)





Q16. How do you perceive those who have different understanding about Islam particularly the ‘quranist’ group?

A. They have gone astray and are way off from the truth. (4)

B. I would make an effort to know their views. They make a lot of sense. (2)

C. I can relate with the idea so long they don’t act ‘holier than thou’. (1)

D. I treat them the same as those of different sect. (3)

E. They are on the right path because they only follow the Quran – words of God. (4)





Q17. Do you feel comfortable shaking hands/kissing friends of the opposite sex in greeting or when saying good-bye?

A. Yes, I am comfortable shaking hands but not kissing. (2)

B. Yes, it is not an issue for me but it depends on the person I greet. (1)

C. No, I don’t feel comfortable shaking hands with the opposite sex let alone kissing them. It is immodest and Haram. (4)

D. I feel comfortable shaking hands but only during business meetings or official social gathering etc. (3)





Q18. Do you think you have found the truth?

A. I am comfortable with Islam. The basic teachings help me spiritually. (3)

B. Yes and it is the Quran. I am striving to get to the correct understanding. (4)

C. Yes Islam is the only true religion – Quran and sunna lead us to the right path. (4)

D. All religious truth is relative truth. (1)





Q19. How do you perceive ‘suicidal and fanatical believer’ for instance Dr. Azahari?

A. He was a true believer. I agree with his struggle and I pray for them. (5)

B. He got himself involved with the wrong people. (1)

C. I don’t agree with his action but I’m sympathetic towards him. (3)

D. He was a good example of how religion corrupts the mind. (2)





Q20. Which group of people in the list below whom their work or their life history inspires you the most?

A. Al Ghazali, Dr Hamka, Prof Fazilah Kamsah, Harun Yahya. (3)

B. Ibn al Qayyim, Ibn Tamiyyah, Md. Illyas Khandlawi, Ashaari Muhammad. (4)

C. Abdul Wadud, Kassim Ahmad,Rashad Khalifa, Aidid Safar. (2)

D. Avecienna, Stephen R Covey, Al Nabulsi, Taufik Hamid. (1)


End Test.







Add up your points and look below to find out which category you belong to.


25 or lower: You are a Secular Muslim.

You are a secular Muslim. Islam provides you with more of a social setting rather than religious belief. You may identify yourself to others as Muslim even though you may hold secular ethical values. For you life is best lived by applying values understood by the process of reasoning. You may be a believer in ‘God’ or an agnostic. However it is less likely you are a hardcore atheist. Reason being it requires much more faith to not believe in ‘God’ than to believe in one. (Whatever you may call/define it to be).





26 – 45: You are a spiritual seeker.

You are looking for answers and wandering through the world of Islam. You probably have your own interpretation of ‘Islam’. The spiritual realm of Islam particularly appeals to you. You may find that many of the social regulations or rules of Islam that are being practiced today (in general) may seem daunting and unnecessary. You have probably gone through years of questioning and researching to come to the understanding of Islam you hold now.





46 – 65: You are a progressive/moderate Muslim.

Even though you may hate and would never vote for the ruling party, Pak Lah must be proud of you. This is the ‘Islam Hadhari’ he has been promoting ever since. Islam is your direct path to God and guides you on matters concerning your spiritual path. You may find that many basic principles in Islam benefit you spiritually and you believe that ijtihad should be reopened. For you, Islam is a state of being that leads you to your ultimate connection to God through your submission to Him.





66 – 80: You are a conservative Muslim.

You are a devout believer and steadfast in your belief in the religion. You hold dearly the sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH) and the writings of past scholars for references in your understanding of the Quran as guidance to determine how to live your life. You are constantly aware of your religious conviction. You most likely have a ‘spiritual guru’ and you often hold religious gathering and love to hang around people with the same conservative ideas as yours.




However, if your score is 81 or higher: You may fit the description of a conservative Muslim very well but leaning treacherously towards extreme side. It would be a wise move that you start mixing around with people from all walks of life. Try to see and understand people as the human being they are rather than their religious persuasion.


End.

A different version of this article can be viewed at Malaysia-Today.net




.

No comments: